One of the best kept secrets in flood are our adult volunteers, especially our Chapter Coordinators. Each school chapter has an amazing adult who pours into our student leaders as they encourage and support them in their own leader and spiritual development, as well as supporting them in their outreach to other students and the community. All of the school chapters have a leadership team made up of a teacher sponsor, student leaders, and this crucial role of a Chapter Coordinator. Their role has become more and more important as flood truly becomes a student led ministry. They have multiple responsibilities from picking up supplies for a meeting, helping students learn how to delegate and work as a team, praying for them, to being someone they can confide in about things weighing heavy on their hearts. We recently had an adult volunteer go to several chapter meetings and a service project and was blown away with our Chapter Coordinators. “You all have some of the nicest people in your ministry!” Yes, we do and we are so thankful and blessed!
James is Chapter Coordinator for the Chattahoochee chapter and one of the amazing adults who supports flood students. He has spent countless hours, praying, shopping, and leading student leaders at Hooch. Here are a few things that he has done this year:
1. Leadership is taking turns leading devotionals every Tuesday (even when there isn’t a chapter meeting)
2. Challenges the leader team with “Operation Hailstorm” (he is ex- marine, can you tell?) that gives them missions to get out of their comfort zones- sitting with someone at lunch you wouldn’t normal sit with, get up in front of class and talk about flood, etc.
3. Dyed his mohawk blue in honor of flood.
4. Was the driving force of getting the flood Christmas tree at ROAM Atlanta that collected many toiletry items, gloves, scarves, and coats for our Christmas Eve Outreach project.
5. Serves as Project Host (another adult volunteer role) with Street Reach, 7 Bridges, and more!
One of the student leaders had this to say about James during flood week back in November, “Tuesday was prayer morning! We met up at our usual spot and had a prayer morning. James, our chapter coordinator, took that one over! He’s just so passionate about Christ and his love for Christ is just unbelievable. He should get an award or something.. like seriously,” student on Chattahoochee leadership team.
James is pictured above with Wanda from the Garden and is being blessed with her wisdom as many of us have. Pictured to the right, James helped set up the flood Christmas Tree @ROAM Atlanta along with some student volunteers. James works at ROAM and comes in early and stays late on many occasions so flood can hold Board meetings, Advisory Committee meetings, student leader meetings, and more!
Any adult interested in serving as a volunteer working along students should contact flood at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to have you GET ON BOARD!